Research Report on smartnewtab Virus
smartnewtab is an exceptionally stubborn browser hijacker due to terrible web-surfing experience and security issues it causes on users’ web browser. You may be confused that you have your google and you won’t change to utilize smartnewtab . And then you will be found that this website is omnipotent and you can do nothing when it changes your browser settings. Moreover, you will discover your other system settings are also changed, including landing page, suspicious websites warning capacity, and other protection functions.
smartnewtab carries on this behaviors to pick up benefits. It is an extremely futile internet helper. It constantly takes you to suspicious pages associated with advertising. Also, a portion of the main ones are diverted to the malicious sites, for example, porn sites, illicit sites , or against government sites, and these sites will contain adware, freeware, or virus which will occupy your pc resource and steal crash your system later.
What’s more, smartnewtab, as a browser hijacker, won’t just harm your pc but also it will bring you with considerable financial lose. It can keep an eye on your programs and get all your personal data from the behaviors on your programs. For this situation, your data such as your records, passwords, your id, your telephone numbers are uncovered so that it could get commission from cyber criminals.
smartnewtab will empower the ads overflowing on your screen. That is to say, it is irritating as well as unsafe. You would better uproot it at this moment. Here we give you the best advice to get it removed and please refer to it.
Various Damages from smartnewtab
- Your system will experience frequent system crash and BSOD error
- You will be harassed by annoying pop-up ads everywhere online
- Ad-supported software may be installed without your permission
- It slows down your Internet connection severely
- You may be scammed by fake virus alert pop-up
- It may invade your accounts to steal your sensitive information
How to Remove smartnewtab Virus Completely
Step 1 – Uninstall smartnewtab and all unwanted / unknown / suspicious software from Control Panel
Windows 10 users:
1) Press the Windows key + I to launch Settings >> click System icon.
2) In System screen, click on App & features on the left side.
3) On the right side, click on icon of smartnewtab or other program that you want to uninstall >> click the Uninstall button
Windows 8 / 8.1 users:
1) Press the Windows key + Q together
2) Type Control Panel and click the icon.
3) Click Uninstall a program
4) Right-click on smartnewtab or any unwanted program and then click Uninstall
Windows 7 /Vista users:
1) Click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
2) Access Uninstall a program.
3) Right-click on smartnewtab or any unknown program and then click Uninstall
Windows XP users:
1) Click the Start menu.
2) Open Control Panel.
3) Click Add or Remove Programs
4) Right-click on smartnewtab or any suspicious program and then click Uninstall
Step 2 – Remove smartnewtab related add-ons/extensions from web browsers
1) Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
2) Click “More Tools”.
3) Select “Extensions”.
4) Find smartnewtab related extensions and click the trash can icon
2) In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the Extensions or Appearance panel.
3) Select the unwanted or suspicious add-on related with smartnewtab.
4) Click the Remove button.
2) Click the Tools button, and then click Manage add-ons.
3) Click Toolbar and Extensions
1. Reset your default search engine to remove smartnewtab related hijacker virus.
- Select More (…) on the address bar, then Settings
- Click View advanced settings
- Click <Add new> under “Search in the address bar with”, then input the search engine you like:
- Now select the search engine you like and click Add as default:
2. Reset your homepage page on Microsoft Edge to remove homepage redirect virus downloaded by smartnewtab.
- Select More (…) on the address bar, then Settings
- Under Open with, select A specific page or pages
- select Custom to enter the URL of page you want to set as homepage
Step 3 Locate and remove all malicious files of smartnewtab and related infections
To completely get smartnewtab and all infections removed from your system, you need to locate and delete all harmful files created by the threats. In this part, you have two options:
Option One – If you are a experienced computer users with expert technique, you can access to Registry to find and remove all dangerous Registry keys and values by yourself (Never try this option if you do not have rich experience and top technique on solving computer problems, because any small mistake can cause severe system malfunction);
Press the Windows key + R together >> Type “regedit‘ in the Run box and hit Enter key >> Locate and remove all malicious registry files created by smartnewtab and other threats:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TabbedBrowsing "NewTabPageShow" = "1"" HHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\Muvic_RASAPI32 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\Muvic_RASMANCS HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Wpm HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\“[virus name]”
Option Two (Highly Recommended for All Users) – If you are just a common computer user who is not good at handling computer problems and deleting system threats, you are highly recommended to use SpyHunter Malware Scanner to help you seek and delete files of smartnewtab and other infections automatically with ease.
smartnewtab is quite stubborn computer virus good at hiding itself. If you cannot find out and delete all its malicious files, it may come back and become stronger and more harmful. Therefore, our tech team suggest you installing SpyHunter to assist you, which is one of the best anti-malware tool capable of tracking and removing all the files of computer threats include Adware, Hijacker, Trojan and Ransomware. Now please download SpyHunter to help you detect smartnewtab and all other hiding threats easily:
1. Click “Download Now” button below to download SpyHunter Anti-Malware safely:
( After SpyHunter is downloaded, your Chrome /Firefox /IE/Edge may show a fake security warning “This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep Download_Spyhunter-Installer.exe anyway?”, which is generated by virus to cheat you, please just ignore the fake warning and click “Keep” button.)
(Notes – If you do not need it any more, please check SpyHuner Uninstalling Steps here. Free version of SpyHunter provides unlimited free scans and detection. After it detects malicious files, processes and registry entries, you can manually locate and remove them on your own; Or to purchase its full version to remove the virus automatically. Meanwhile, the full version of SpyHunter will offers you unlimited one-on-one professional help for any malware related issue by its official PC expert.)
2. Run SpyHunter-Installer.exe to start the installation and follow its instructions to install SpyHunter:
3. Once SpyHunter is installed, click “Start New Scan” to detect smartnewtab and all malicious files on your system:
4. Once SpyHunter completes the scan, you can follow the scan results to find and delete the harmful files of smartnewtab manually by yourself; Or click Fix Threats to delete all the infections quickly and automatically:
Step 4 – Fix damaged registry files and optimize your system performance with RegHunter
smartnewtab corrupts crucial files in Registry and other crucial sections to trigger slow system speed, system crash, BSOD, program errors and slow Internet. After removing smartnewtab with SpyHunter, it’s strongly suggested to use RegHunter to restore the damaged files to helathy status and speed up your computer:
1. Click “Download Now” button below to download RegHunter safely:
Tips: After RegHunter is downloaded, your Chrome /Firefox /IE may display such fake security warning “This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep Download_Reghunter-Installer.exe anyway?“, which is generated by virus to cheat you, please just ignore the fake warning and click “Keep” button.
Notes – If you do not need it any more, please check RegHunter Uninstalling Steps here. RegHunter`s free version provides unlimited free scans and detection. After it detects corrupted registry files and system errors files, you can follow the scan results to manually replace them with healthy files copied from healthy PC on your own; Or to purchase its full version to automatically fix the Registry and errors with ease. Meanwhile, the full version of RegHunter will offers you great features to optimize your system performance.)
2. Run RegHunter-Installer.exe to start the installation of RegHunter.
3. Click Scan for Registry Errors Now to detect registry errors and files damaged by smartnewtab:
4. Click Repair All Errors to fix Registry and optimize your system:
Step 5 (Optional Step) – Reset Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox and Internet Explorer to clean up smartnewtab’s files left on web browser:
– Reset Chrome
1. Open Chrome, then click “Customize and control Google Chrome” button, and then click on Settings
2. Under the Chrome Settings page, scroll down to the bottom, then click on Show advanced settings button
3. After clicking on Show advanced settings button, scroll down to the bottom and click on Reset browser settings button
4. A message box will pop up to inform that your browser settings will be restored to their original defaults, click Reset button when it appears
– Reset Microsoft Edge
1. Select More (…) on the address bar, then Settings
2. click “Choose what to clear”
3. Check the first three options and then click Clear
– Reset Firefox
1. Open Firefox, then click on Firefox button, then click on Help button, then click on Troubleshooting Information
2. At the Troubleshooting Information page, click on Reset Firefox
3. A message box will pop up to let you confirm that you want to reset Firefox to its initial state, click Reset Firefox button when it appears
– Reset Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer, then click on Tools, then click on Internet Options
2. On the Internet Options window: click on Advanced tab, then click Reset button
3. A message box will pop up to let you confirm that you want to reset all Internet Explorer Settings, click Reset button when it appears
Tips for Preventing Computer Virus and Malware
According to research, Free Download Software /Files, Spam Email Attachment, Torrent Files and Porn Websites are the most common ways that cyber criminal spread computer infections such as smartnewtab. To protect your system from virus and malware attacking, please take these suggestions:
1. Always select Advanced / Custom Installation whenever installing any software;
2. Always update software from their official websites;
3. Always make a scan on free download files and email attachments;
4. It’s better not visiting any Porn websites;
5. Install a top class antivirus software and keep the Firewall up all the time. Here we recommend you the best antivirus – Avast Internet Security. It provides your 60 days free trail, download it now to give your computer an overall protection for free.
This article should NOT be mistaken for being associated in any way with the promotion or endorsement of malware. The purpose of this article is to inform readers on the detection and removal of malware and should not be taken out of context for purposes of associating this website with malware, All information provided on this article is “as is” for educational purpose only.